People often ask what sources would be recommended either to begin studying Buddhism or to get a better understanding of the teachings we emphasize in our group. The following are some outstanding basic books, Web sites, and audio/video sources we'd recommend. While many other excellent resources are available, these offer good introductions to various aspects of our tradition.
- No Self, No Problem, by Anam Thubten
- The Magic of Awareness, by Anam Thubten
- Embracing Each Moment, by Anam Thubten
- Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
- The Myth of Freedom, by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
- Shambhala, The Sacred Path of the Warrior, by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
- Rebel Buddha, by Dzögchen Ponlop Rinpoche
- It's Up to You, by Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
- The Joy of Living, by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- The Wisdom of No Escape, by Pema Chödrön
- Turning the Mind into an Ally, by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
- Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki-roshi
Most of these books are available from your favorite local or online bookseller. Many of them are also sold by vendors affiliated with Dharma centers—such as Namse Bangdzoat Karma Triyana Dharmachakra monastery or the Samadhi Store. Purchases from such sellers typically support Buddhist practice and teaching. Please note that Anam Thubten's books may also be purchased from the Dharmata Foundation.
Online & Audio/Video
- Anam Thubten (The Dharmata Foundation)
Teachings by and information about Anam Thubten at the Web site of his organization, the Dharmata Foundation, based near Berkeley, California.
Ani Pema's Web site posts, for online reading, a series of excellent basic teachings in simple, everyday language.
- Teachings of the Tibetan Kagyu Lineage
The Web site of Karma Triyana Dharmachakra, the Woodstock, New York monastery which is the North American seat of HH Gyalwa Karmapa XVII, posts written teachings by various masters on many important Tibetan Buddhist topics.
- Teachings in the Shambhala Buddhist tradition
A small selection of streaming and downloadable talks (both audio and video) by the Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, and Ani Pema Chödrön.
- Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's "Personal Link"
Rinpoche's organization offers—both at no charge online and for purchase on CD—his talks on an array of topics.
- Nalandabodhi International
The organization affiliated with the Dzogchen Pönlop Rinpoche, a respected teacher of the current generation who holds both the Kagyu and Nyingma lineages of Tibetan Buddhism, also offers written teachings online.